Friday, August 17, 2012

TABOULI WITH A TWIST



TABOULI WITH A TWIST

In my garden right now is an abundance of, tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley and mint.
I have used these ingredients to make a tabouli.
Tabouli is one of my favorite dishes. Mostly for the parsley and mint.
Tonight I made a few changes to my usual recipe to make for a more healthful and delicious dish!

The biggest change was to use quinoa for the grain. Quinoa adds an incredible amount of protein, calcium, and minerals. This along with the cucumber which is very alkaline, has lots of minerals and fiber that ward off high blood pressure. It also is high in silica which promotes healthy bones and joints. We know that tomatoes have lots of lycopene for bone health and heart health!  My last additions are grated raw carrots and beets.
this beside adding more nutrition this makes for a rainbow, colorful, main dish when served on a bed of greens of your choice.

Recipe
1 cup of quiona cooked according to package directions.
3 tomatoes chopped
1 large cucumber chopped and seeded if needed
1/2 onion red or white finely chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh parsley chopped
1 cup mint finely chopped.
2 cups grated carrots and beets (I use a food processor leave skins on)

Dressing
3 T lemon juice
3 T olive oil
1 clove garlic minced
salt and pepper to taste ( I do not use salt)

Put all ingredients in a bowl, mix dressing separately and pour over, mix well.
store over night to bring out the flavors.
Enjoy!

If you enjoy my posts  check out my web site for more recipies and healthful information!     www.heidicolella.com


No comments:

Post a Comment